The Association was established in June 1901 with the aim to set up co-operative convalescent homes in order that retail societies in the north-west could send sick employees and members of the society to recover from illness. Two homes were planned to begin with, one in Yorkshire and one in Lancashire. The first home of the North West Convalescent Homes Association was Chevin Hall in Otley and was opened in August 1904. Two further homes were later established, Glenroyd in Blackpool opened in 1906 and Thorpe Dene in Scarborough opened in 1921. Glenroyd was used as an emergency maternity home during the Second World War as a place for evacuees to have their babies in a safe and secure environment. The North West Convalescent Homes Association was dissolved in 1978 after the sale of their last property, Glenroyd in Blackpool.
The collection consists of minute books of the North-West Co-operative Convalescent Homes Association and house meetings minute books of the three convalescent homes established by the Association. There are also Annual Reports and a visitor book as well as correspondence and inventories.